When Aron Gilmartin resigned in 1974, Josiah Bartlett, former President of Starr King School for the Ministry, was appointed Interim Minister. The following year Til Evans became Director of Religious Education and was ordained Minister of Religious Education by the church. Peter Christiansen was called as Minister in 1976, serving five years. Til Evans then served as minister for several months until her appointment as full time assistant professor of education at Starr King School for the Ministry. Bob Forbes, Til’s husband, became Interim Minister. It was his only ministry, as he died of cancer in 1984. The Memorial Garden, created to honor members who have died, includes a fountain dedicated Rev. Forbes.
David Sammons was called as Minister in 1984, after serving churches in the East and Midwest. He was graduated from Starr King School in 1965, and received his doctor of divinity from Pacific School of Religion in 1978. During his 23-year tenure the congregation continued to grow to a mid-sized church of over 350 members, with two services on Sunday mornings, plus Meditation, and offering a full range of religious programming. Since 1955 our ministers and the congregation have been mentors to 62 intern ministers.
In 1999, realizing a longtime dream, the congregation moved into our new sanctuary. The building once used for worship was remodeled as religious education rooms and named the Gilmartin building. Sanctuary funding involved a capital campaign and sale of part of our land for building lots. In 2007 the Dorothy White Building, named for a generous donor, was remodeled to house a full-time private day care center, replacing the co-op nursery begun by church members in 1974.