At the Table questions explore our themes through a discussion for all ages. They are designed for family time – maybe during a Friday night meal, a quiet moment in the living room or before a board game night.
Introducing the Activity:
Family members who are readers can alternate who reads the questions. Those who are not readers are invited to share their own impromptu questions. Discussion partners might answer as thoughts come to them or take turns in a circle.
- How do you feel when you start a new journey? Some people feel nervous. Others can’t wait to begin? What about you?
- Would you rather plan out all the details of a journey, or see what comes up new each day?
- Do you prefer long car rides or long walks? Why?
- What are your favorite activities for when we have a long ride ahead of us?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Would you rather travel with people you know or people you don’t know?
- What is your favorite way to travel, or, what do you think would be the most fun way to travel: car, boat, train, plane, motorcycle, bicycle, skateboarding, flying on the back of a dragon, etc.…?
- Is it better to ask for help when you are lost or try to figure out where you need to go on your own? Why?
- Who in our family is most likely to ask for directions when lost? Who hates admitting they’re lost and asking for directions?
- Have you heard the saying “stop and smell the roses”? What do you think it means?
- What does it mean to “walk with someone” in life? Who walks with you and who do you walk with? Sometimes they are the same people.
- What’s been the hardest thing about your growing-up journey?
Ways to Return to the Discussion Throughout the Week:
Thoughts develop with time. So here are some questions to continue your (theme) discussion: Are there questions that you would answer differently than you did at first? Are there things you want to add to your initial thoughts? Did someone say something that made you think your own new thought? Did your family discussion lead to similar discussions with friends?